Necessary components to start using the FinchShift™:
- FinchShift™ Development Kit (two in-hand 6-DoF controllers and two armband modules)
- VIVE Focus+ VIVE Focus 3-DoF controller
- PC or laptop
- 6хААА batteries (*not included)
- USB Type-C Cable
Getting your controller ready for use
Installing the power source (batteries)
- Take the controllers and armband modules out of the box. To carry out the next steps, you need 6 AAA batteries.
- Take the controller and open the battery slot by pressing on the lid and sliding it to the side.
- Extract the battery compartment.
- Install two batteries as described on the lid, making sure each pole of the battery is in the assigned position (the “+” pole is to be placed in the region with the greater circumference described in the diagram, whereas the “-” pole is assigned to the region with the smaller circumference). Return the battery compartment to its initial position.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the second controller.
- Take the armband module and open the battery slot by pressing on the lid and sliding it to the side.
- Insert a single battery as described in the diagram of poles on the lid of the module. Close the battery compartment.
- Repeat steps 5-6 for the second armband module.
Ensuring the correct setup of the power source
- To ensure that the batteries were installed correctly, the following steps must be carried out For the controller:
- For the controller:
- Take the controller and hold the home button down for 2-3 seconds to turn on the device. If the batteries were installed correctly, the controller should vibrate briefly and an indication of the device being powered on should appear (the LED lights in the controller will light up white)
- Repeat the previous step for the other controller.
- For the shoulder module:
- Take the controller and hold the home button down for 2-3 seconds to turn on the module. If the batteries were installed correctly, the controller should vibrate briefly and an indication of the device being powered on should appear (the LED lights in the controller will light up white)
- Repeat the previous step for the other shoulder module.
Preparing your Vive Focus headset for the installation of the Demo
- Turn on the headset as described in the instruction manual that comes with the Vive Focus.
- Using the 3-Dof controller, open the Settings page in the main menu and navigate through the following pages: Settings – More – USB debugging and select “Switch on”
- Using a USB Type C cable, connect the headset to a PC
- In headset’s main menu accept the transfer of data from the PC to the headset
Launching the application and connecting the controllers for the first time (Video)
Connecting the controllers to the Vive Focus headset
- Launch the FinchShift™ 6-DoF Demo
- One by one, activate all four devices of the Finch Shift set by holding down the oval button for 2-3 seconds. Bring all four devices as close to the headset as possible.
- Wait for all four devices to automatically connect to the headset.
- Make sure that the connection indication is correct (all LEDs on the devices should be lit up white)
- If all is correct, the controllers and armband modules are ready for use
- If the automatic connection described in Step 3 does not occur after 20 seconds, close the application and repeat all the steps once again
- Be aware that occasionally, this procedure will require restarting the Vive Focus headset
Using the Finch Shift
Putting on the devices
- Take a FinchShift™ armband module
- Put on the armband module as such that the module is five centimeters above the elbow and that the oval button is facing towards the user’s head
- Secure the module using the Velcro’s, so that the armband module sits tightly on your arm. For the most comfortable experience, make sure that the Velcro is attached in the direction of the user’s body.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the second armband module
- Grab the FinchShift™ controller as such that the index finger is located on the trigger, and the middle finger is located on the “grip” button
- Repeat the first step for the second controller
Calibrating the devices
By default, when the ‘gaming mode’ is launched a calibration of the FinchShift™ controller is offered for further use. It is important to carry out the calibration process precisely as described in the instruction, to minimize tracking inaccuracy.
- Carry out the calibration instructions strictly as described on the screen:
- Extend your arms forward while holding the controllers, making sure they are on neck level and that the elbows are in the straightest position possible
- While holding this pose, press down on the oval buttons of both controller until a vibration occurs. The calibration is complete.
- If you wish to calibrate the controllers through optical calibration (which produces more accurate result), press the ‘App’ button during the standard calibration method. Here is a video explaining the optical calibration procedures (link)
*If during use, the tracking of arms is significantly inaccurate compared to the arms’ actual position, it is possible to recalibrate by completing steps 1 and 2
We are happy that you successfully completed the controller installation process! Enjoy your use of the controllers!